Start: 3 April, 2023 End: 3 November, 2023
Application Deadline: 2023-03-01
Traverse Tall Ship Company is now accepting applications for the position of Mate aboard the Schooner Manitou. Manitou is an 77′, inspected, steel-hulled, gaff-topsail schooner based in the thriving tourist town of Traverse City, Michigan and conducts multiple sails each day on the waters of Grand Traverse Bay. The Mate will assist the Captain in all aspects of vessel operation and training, keep meticulous notes and work-lists, and manage rotating duty and day off schedules for a crew of five. Auxiliary Sail endorsed 100 GRT license preferred, but not required. Employment dates are from 3 April – 3 November, 2023.
PROGRAM & ITINERARY:
Schooner Manitou begins the season with a six-week fit-out and rig-up period. In 2023 this will also include a drydocking, She then conducts two weeks of educational School Ship Programs in conjunction with Inland Seas Educational Association. From Memorial Day through Labor Day, she operates seven days per week, offering between three and four public sails per day, with bunch cruises on the weekends, and occasional themed sails. All sails run from the vessel’s home berth at Discovery Pier, with ample shore support. The goal of all excursions is for all passengers to have an excellent and memorable experience aboard. In September, Manitou offers a series of three to five-day overnight passenger Windjammer cruises to the picturesque anchorages and fascinating towns of Grand Traverse Bay and beyond.
All crew are involved in all aspects of sailing operations, passenger interactions, and vessel upkeep and maintenance. The Mate are expected to be highly attentive to vessel presentation, maintain the highest level of professionalism and customer service, and abide by all training and safety protocols. The mate will assist the Captain in all aspects of vessel operation and training, keep meticulous notes and work-lists, and manage rotating duty and day off schedules for a crew of five. With a heavy focus on training, the Mate can expect to gain valuable experience in rigging, small boat operations, ship handling, and other areas, as well as be a mentor for less experienced crew.
- Auxiliary Sail endorsed 100 GRT Great Lakes or Near Coastal Master’s License required
- STCW NOT required
- Previous command time preferred but not essential
- Prior experience aboard traditional sailing vessels highly preferred
- CPR/FA certification required (can be arranged after hiring)
- Valid driver’s license highly preferred
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Compensation includes:
- Monthly salary, plus significant gratuities
- Room and board on Manitou
- Two days off per week
- Travel reimbursement up to $300
- The Mate must have a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the ability to interact with the public and shipmates in an upbeat and professional manner.
- Applicants must be physically able to perform the required duties and be willing to work at heights aloft. Licensing preferred but not required.
- Traditional sailing experience strongly preferred but not essential.
HOW TO APPLY
- Contact Person: Jamie Trost – email@example.com
- Application Requirements: Resume, References, Cover Letter