Start: 3 April, 2023 End: 3 November, 2023
Application Deadline: 2023-03-01
Traverse Tall Ship Company is now accepting applications for the position of deckhand aboard the Schooner Manitou. Manitou is a 77′, inspected, steel-hulled, gaff-topsail schooner based in the thriving tourist town of Traverse City, Michigan and conducts multiple sails each day on the waters of Grand Traverse Bay. Employment dates are from 3 April – 3 November, 2023.
PROGRAM & ITINERARY:
Schooner Manitou begins the season with a six-week fit-out and rig-up period. In 2023 this will also include a drydocking, She then conducts two weeks of educational School Ship Programs in conjunction with Inland Seas Educational Association. From Memorial Day through Labor Day, she operates seven days per week, offering between three and four public sails per day, with bunch cruises on the weekends, and occasional themed sails. All sails run from the vessel’s home berth at Discovery Pier, with ample shore support. The goal of all excursions is for all passengers to have an excellent and memorable experience aboard.
Deckhands are involved in all aspects of sailing operations, passenger interactions, and vessel upkeep and maintenance. Deckhands are expected to be highly attentive to vessel presentation, maintain the highest level of professionalism and customer service, and abide by all training and safety protocols. All crew are continuously trained in all aspects of vessel operations and can expect to gain valuable experience in rigging, small boat operations, ship handling, and other areas.
Deckhands must have a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the ability to interact with the public and shipmates in an upbeat and professional manner. Applicants must be physically able to perform the required duties and be willing to work at heights aloft. Traditional sailing experience is preferred but not required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Monthly salary, plus significant gratuities
- Room and board on Manitou
- Two days off per week
- Travel reimbursement up to $300
- Deckhands must have a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the ability to interact with the public and shipmates in an upbeat and professional manner.
- Applicants must be physically able to perform the required duties and be willing to work at heights aloft.
- Traditional sailing experience preferred but not essential.
HOW TO APPLY
- Contact Person: Jamie Trost – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application Requirements: Resume, References, Cover Letter