Start: 22 May, 2023 End: 17 September, 2023
Application Deadline: 2023-03-01
Traverse Tall Ship Company is seeking a Captain to serve aboard both the Schooner Manitou and the Sailing Yacht Scout. Manitou is an 77′, inspected, steel-hulled, gaff-topsail schooner, and Scout is a Cabo Rico 38 that operates as an uninspected vessel. Both vessels are based in the thriving tourist town of Traverse City, Michigan and conduct multiple sails each day on the waters of Grand Traverse Bay. The Captain will split time between the vessels in a five day on, two day off rotation. Aboard Manitou, they will manage, lead, and help train a crew of four to six. They will single-hand Scout on most sails, and have the assistance of a deckhand on all-day excursions to the county park of Power Island. In September, the Captain will be in command for at least one overnight Windjammer program aboard Manitou.
PROGRAM & ITINERARY:
Schooner Manitou operates seven days a week from Memorial Day through Labor Day, offering between three and four public sails per day, with bunch cruises on the weekends, and occasional themed sails. All sails run from the vessel’s home berth at Discovery Pier, with ample shore support. Scout operates seven days a week from Memorial Day through early October, sailing two or three times per day from her well appointed marina berth. The goal of all excursions is for all passengers to have an excellent and memorable experience aboard.
The Captain is responsible for safe and efficient operations, ensuring excellent passenger interactions, and vessel upkeep. Aboard Manitou, the Captain will further the crew’s development as mariners with training and instruction as often as possible.
- Auxiliary Sail endorsed 100 GRT Great Lakes or Near Coastal Master’s License required
- STCW NOT required
- Previous command time preferred but not essential
- Prior experience aboard traditional sailing vessels highly preferred
- CPR/FA certification required (can be arranged after hiring)
- Valid driver’s license highly preferred
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Monthly salary commensurate with experience, plus significant gratuities
- Room and board on Manitou
- Two days off per week
- Travel coverage
- License Required: Master
- Tonnage: 100t
- Medical: CPR
HOW TO APPLY:
- Contact Person: Jamie Trost – email@example.com
- Application Requirements: Resume, References, Cover Letter